Author Topic: Awesome custom Xbox 360 controller driver for Windows  (Read 29814 times)

Offline FlashTHD

• Professional Antagonist
  • Administrator
  • Deluxe
  • Rep: +0/-0
    • That crappy thing I don't touch anymore
  • How did you find JP?: "Baby Steps to a Better You"
Awesome custom Xbox 360 controller driver for Windows
« on: August 09, 2010, 07:46:42 am »
If you use a (first party) Xbox 360 controller on your PC for anything, you want this:

http://lavendy.net/special/driver/x360c/index.html <-- For Wired controller
http://lavendy.net/special/driver/x360wc/index.html <-- For Wireless controller

I first saw this thing years ago when Borisz shared it on Sonic CulT and it is badass. This one comes with a config dialog that allows you to tweak tons of minute functions that Microsoft's default driver doesn't. It does everything: thumbstick axises, button mapping (you can now actually use the Xbox button), assign the triggers as either axises or buttons seperately, D-Pad function (as a hat, an axis, seperate buttons, on and on), rumble strength, deadzones, threshholds - this thing even lets you play with the behavior of the lights around the Xbox button. Want them to spin around like mad continuously? Sure! On top of all this you can even assign seperate controller profiles.

To install it, you'll have to direct Windows to let you do it manually. I'll just rehash Borisz's instructions; whichever version of Windows you get the driver for, the process is pretty much the same:
to install it, go to the Device Manager [in control panel], select the 360 controller (should be under Common controllers or some such shit), and refresh [update] the device driver. While doing this, select no to windows update driver search (next>), on the next screen select "install from list", on the next screen select "select from list" instead of searching, and on that screen click on the "have disk" button. Pick the *.inf file from this alternate driver THERE. It will install.

Once you've done the install, remember to go back into the folder with the driver contents and look for x360csai.exe (it has a distinct icon). Run it, and a new thing will be added to the system tray which you can double click to get to the new controller configurator. Have fun. (I forget if the new dialog remembers to stay on the system tray on startup. If not, see about adding the EXE to the Startup folder.)

Also, on the off chance that the controller exhibits ye olde "constantly moving to the left" problem after the install, here's what you do: download this (or this for the wireless controller), unzip the file named "Delete_DirectInputProperties", right click, and choose Install. That ought to whip it into shape.

In the event that the above links die permanently with no replacement, I have archived all the relevant files in this RAR file, with a readme included.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 05:43:37 am by FlashTHD »

^ Updated infrequently due to Backloggery pissing me off a lot

Offline Andy Axehandle

• Official Motherfuckers!
  • Master
  • Rep: +0/-3
  • Professional Rapist
  • How did you find JP?: I am JP
Re: Awesome custom Xbox 360 controller driver for Windows
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 06:45:04 am »
Awesome, I'll have to check it out, because Microsoft's drivers suck, the controller rarely works, I'm convinced it just doesnt wanna work! Maybe its because its made by MADCATZ.
There was a signature, but it left and never came back.

Offline Andy Axehandle

• Master
  • Professional Rapist
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 05:35:31 am »
Ok, I tried it and it wont install? Any suggestions?

Offline FlashTHD

• Administrator
  • Deluxe
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 06:02:37 am »
Ok, I tried it and it wont install? Any suggestions?
Nice "my car is broken, fix it" logic there.

Read the instructions more carefully? Or well, if you're using a third-party pad, there are no garauntees whatsoever.

Offline Andy Axehandle

• Master
  • Professional Rapist
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 01:01:08 am »
if you're using a third-party pad, there are no garauntees whatsoever.

That's probably why.

Carras

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 10:18:52 pm »
hi FlashTHD,

thanks for the link this driver is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for!

Unfortunatley I ran into a problem as soon as I started the first game (Shadowgrounds): when I tried to change the button settings it would always say 'joy-left' without me doing anything. The only other reaction I got was when I pushed the left analog stick to the right (in which case it would say 'joy-up'). Then I tried Silent Hill 3: same Problem, although here I was able to fix it by changing the left stick from 'X-axis/Y-axis' to 'Z-axis/Z-rotation'. Last I tried Devil May Cry 4 and had the same problem as in SH3, although that 'fix' didn't help here (also didn't help with Shadowgrounds).

I know that it has to be the driver because all of these games worked perfectly fine with my old gamepad AND with the XBox Controller (with MS drivers). Only problem being that the MS drivers suck and that my old gamepad only has one analog stick...

Got any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 10:27:08 pm by Carras »

Offline FlashTHD

• Administrator
  • Deluxe
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 04:12:22 am »
There's another curveball if you're on Windows 7 though. What this driver is supposed to do is try to replace the controller config dialog that you normally access in the Control Panel. On 7, it doesn't. Normally this wouldn't be a problem since you won't be using the old one anymore, but you will still need to duck into the control panel and use the old dialog to re-calibrate the controller after you install the driver. If you forget to do this, expect the left stick (aka the X/Y Axis) to exhibit ye olde "rotate constantly" problem. After that just use the new dialog on the system tray for everything.
You try that?

Carras

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 03:53:05 pm »
Sorry, forgot to mention; I'm running Vista, so I can't do that...

Offline Thunder

• Instead of just making my avatar smaller I wasted a bunch of time rewriting the CSS to fit my avatar. I don't take shit from ASCII
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate
  • Rep: +3/-0
    • http://www.threefingeredsalute.com
  • How did you find JP?: my favourite sonic game is google
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 04:19:05 pm »
I've never used Vista, but I looked around on Google for a solution. I couldn't find anything directly related to this custom driver, but according to Microsoft's support center, Vista's control panel is supposed to work the same way as in any other Windows, barring any updates you might have to install.

(Windows 7 is better anyway, though. :P)

Offline FlashTHD

• Administrator
  • Deluxe
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 09:07:08 pm »
I forget if it's supposed to be a problem with 7 specifically or any Windows version, but just go try calibrating it in control panel.

Carras

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 09:57:03 pm »
Well, the problem is that I don't see the old config dialog anymore, wenn I click on the gamecontroller icon and choose properties it takes me to the custom dialog box... I tried to uninstall the custom driver, calibrate the gamepad and install them again but that doesn't work either, because when I delete the drivers the custom dialog is still there, even though the pad uses the microsoft drivers again (which works perfectly fine for DMC4) and I can't reinstall the original drivers because I get an error message that says that I should uninstall the original drivers first before I can reinstall them. And I already tried that when I tried to install the custom drivers in the first place... And I failed. Any ideas on how I could delete these drivers (preferably both original and custom to start from scratch)?

@Thunder well imo Vista and 7 both have some issues, but since I'm familiar with Vista I'm not going to upgrade anytime soon as I don't see the point ;)

Offline FlashTHD

• Administrator
  • Deluxe
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 07:49:27 am »
The download should come with an uninstall exe.

That's bizzare, I just checked myself and control panel now brings up the custom dialog for me too. Hmm. Maybe after reinstalling the custom one overtop, go try to calibrate it right away before restarting/turning off the system?

Carras

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 03:05:45 pm »
nope, there's no uninstall exe here, just the x360csai.exe. I also downloaded the 32 bit Version as well as the Win7 .zip files and none had an uninstall.exe with them?! What OS do you use? can you upload the uninstall file?

edit: ok so I got it uninstalled manually, calibrated it and reinstalled the custom drivers and... it didn't work... It'd help a lot if I could install the drivers without the custom config dialog, then I could calibrate it like it's supposed to work with win7... Otherwise I guess that I'll have to use the original drivers most of the time and accept the fact that I can't use the triggers in older games...
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 04:21:08 pm by Carras »

Offline FlashTHD

• Administrator
  • Deluxe
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 08:26:21 pm »
ffffff. I thought it came with one.

The only other thing I can think of is this, which contains .inf files that, according to the website, do this (danger, shitty google translation approaching):

Continue to be given direction and input on the right
    If the driver update from Microsoft products, DirectInput may shift the calibration. In that case, Readme.txt, and refer to a site that explains the way of you, please do adjust the game controller.
    The download (other) in the "DirectInput & OEM delete inf file properties" in, DirectInput you can remove the device information. In that case, the expanded right-click the inf file, please select the installation. However, here is a way that may not be modified.

So try taking out Delete_DirectInputProperties and right-click/install it to see if it does anything. Otherwise, if this doesn't work then I have no idea what to tell you, I can't remember exactly how I fixed it :(

Carras

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 08:23:56 pm »
Awesome, that did it!

Although this raises another question, why is the button configuration all messed up?! I tried to play Devil May Cry and noticed this and somehow I can't configure the triggers as analog triggers and have to use them as buttons (not sure though if this is actually a problem with the drivers or if the game wants to use them as buttons anyway...)

Oh well, this is the configuration that DMC4 thinks means XBox:

A 3
B 2
Y 1
LB 7
RB 8
LT 5
RT 6
LS 11
RS 12
Start 9
Back 10
right analog stick - Z axis/ Z rotation

Oh well, at least it seems to work now ^^ Thanks man!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 09:06:06 pm by Carras »

Offline FlashTHD

• Administrator
  • Deluxe
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 10:31:07 pm »
And thus the first post is fixed to correct my stupidity.

Offline FlashTHD

• Administrator
  • Deluxe
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 03:59:46 am »
Updated the links in the OP. The site for the driver moved ages ago and I only just now tracked it back down. I'm also pinning this to keep it handy for reference, since this thread seems to now be the #1 google search result for "custom xbox360 controller driver".
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 04:17:45 am by FlashTHD »

Offline Diavolos

• How did you find JP?: google
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 05:40:45 pm »
hello guys, ive windows 7 sp1 x64 and im trying here for 3 days to make this sh1tty drivers work, i install drivers on device manager, all works good, controller on joy.cpl seems to work, ut the damn x360wcsai.exe is not working for any reason, it is running on task manager but on the tray theres nothing showing

im frustrated please help me

Offline FlashTHD

• Administrator
  • Deluxe
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 02:09:01 am »
Try to run the EXE manually (with the controller plugged in obviously). If it still does not show, click that little arrow on the tray, go to Customize, and flip through the list to see if Windows  has it set to not show the icon & notifications.

Offline alex

• How did you find JP?: Google
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 03:01:49 pm »
[...]
Also, on the off chance that the controller exhibits ye olde "constantly moving to the left" problem after the install, here's what you do: download this (or this for the wireless controller), unzip the file named "Delete_DirectInputProperties", right click, and choose Install. That ought to whip it into shape.
[...]

You saved my day! I had that problem and tried over hours to fix it, trying to remap it and so on. Nothing worked.

Now this nice controller is usable for my purpose. I will try to make it work with a pandaren monk in World of Warcraft. There is allready am old extension called Soulblade360 but it's not  to my liking. Playing the pandaren monk reminded me to the sessions of tekken with a friend a long time ago. So I asked myself: When it feels like tekken, why not use a controller?

Offline Thunder

• Instead of just making my avatar smaller I wasted a bunch of time rewriting the CSS to fit my avatar. I don't take shit from ASCII
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 09:31:45 pm »
Whoa, if World of Warcraft plays like Tekken now, that's something I might have to check out. o.o

Offline KAZ Type X

• How did you find JP?: JP found me
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2013, 12:50:31 am »
ffffff. I thought it came with one.

The only other thing I can think of is this, which contains .inf files that, according to the website, do this (danger, shitty google translation approaching):

Continue to be given direction and input on the right
    If the driver update from Microsoft products, DirectInput may shift the calibration. In that case, Readme.txt, and refer to a site that explains the way of you, please do adjust the game controller.
    The download (other) in the "DirectInput & OEM delete inf file properties" in, DirectInput you can remove the device information. In that case, the expanded right-click the inf file, please select the installation. However, here is a way that may not be modified.

So try taking out Delete_DirectInputProperties and right-click/install it to see if it does anything. Otherwise, if this doesn't work then I have no idea what to tell you, I can't remember exactly how I fixed it :(

Those custom drivers are all messy for me, I got rid of the "no deadzone" issue, but got a few other issues instead lol. Now I need to uninstall those drivers and reinstall the Microsoft ones. Problem is, how do I uninstall them? Do you have any "uninstall.exe", like you thought that the drivers came with? Already tried your suggestions and also rolling back the drivers, got nothing. Didn't try a System Restore yet, gonna do it tomorrow to see if it works.

Also, that link you posted doesn't work ("403 Forbidden. You don't have permission to access bla bla bla on this server")

EDIT: Great Scott, I did it! Just making a System Restore solved all this mess. My controller is working normally again. :D But now I'll have to deal with the lack of deadzone it has. :cry
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 03:47:25 am by KAZ Type X »

Offline Andy Axehandle

• Master
  • Professional Rapist
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2013, 07:19:13 am »
Ok I replied to this before saying it does not work. I can't even get the program to open, I downloaded it from the link, extracted it to my desktop and tried to run the exe. No matter what I do it will not open. I tried running it as administrator, I tried hitting it, burning it, burying it, and shitting on it. I'm running Windows XP 32-Bit, and as I said before, it is a Madcatz 360 controller. Any suggestions as to what I should do, besides buying windows 7 and cleaning the shit off my floor?

Offline Thunder

• Administrator
  • Ultimate
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 02:01:03 am »
Also, that link you posted doesn't work ("403 Forbidden. You don't have permission to access bla bla bla on this server")

The links in the first post work, though. Also, what issues were you having with the driver?

Ok I replied to this before saying it does not work. I can't even get the program to open, I downloaded it from the link, extracted it to my desktop and tried to run the exe. No matter what I do it will not open. I tried running it as administrator, I tried hitting it, burning it, burying it, and shitting on it. I'm running Windows XP 32-Bit, and as I said before, it is a Madcatz 360 controller. Any suggestions as to what I should do, besides buying windows 7 and cleaning the shit off my floor?

Learn to read and get a proper controller

Offline KAZ Type X

• How did you find JP?: JP found me
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 03:33:22 am »
The links in the first post work, though. Also, what issues were you having with the driver?

I tested those drivers only on NFS Pro Street. Overall it worked fine, but the Start button stopped working (I could just press Esc instead) and both triggers didn't have that sensitive effect anymore, I had to fully press them to activate them, just like any other button.

This driver finally put some deadzone into my controller, but I don't want to lose the triggers, so I had to remove them.